Ian Lozada: Images and Words

Wedding Photography for Lexington, KY and the New York Metro area.

Subscribe
Add to Technorati Favourites
Add to del.icio.us
August 18, 2007

Back from Lexington...

Posted by IanLozada

... and something's gone horribly wrong in the basement, I suspect. It smells a little musty down there, and there's evidence of water on the floors. Ugh.

I miss my Lexington apartment already.

***

Of course, I'd be much happier to be home if Kristina and Caroline weren't still in California, but they're coming home on Monday. In the meantime, at least Maggie, my Jack Russell Terrier, is happy to see me. However, Dorothy, Caroline's goldfish (named after Elmo's Sesame Street goldfish, of course)... well, there's gonna be a new Dorothy when Caroline gets back home. And this time, I'm not letting my mom put the fish in a goldfish bowl. I know that's how Elmo has his Dorothy, but fish need more water surface than that if they're going to live. The aquarium's coming out of storage this time.

***

As I walked home from the railroad station (I took the JFK Airtrain and the Long Island Rail Road to get home), I passed a Burger King restaurant, and it dawned on me that I've never seen a BK in Lexington before. I don't think I've seen Wendy's here, either.

You see, I have an ironclad rule of traveling... don't eat anywhere you can eat at home. It's a great rule, and it means I get to try a lot of food I'd never have otherwise, but it also allows me into most chain restaurants. Long Island is one of the least chain-saturated places in America. Folks, we don't have Denny's here. No Cracker Barrel, no Waffle House and no Bob Evans. No Sonic, and no Hardees. Chik Fil-A isn't open on Sundays in New York... or on any other day of the week. WE DON'T EVEN HAVE DAIRY QUEEN. If I'm lyin', I'm flyin'.

But here's the thing... While I've done a good job of staying out of McDonalds, Arby's (which just came back to Long Island this year), TGI Fridays and Moe's Southwest Grill, at what point do I finally say, I've been in Lexington long enough that I can have a John Coctostan at Moe's? It's a real conundrum.

I need some help here. Somebody give me a good reason for either keeping up my stance, or ditching it. Leave your thoughts in the comments. Best reasoning gets dinner at your favorite Lexington restaurant on me. Contest open to anyone who isn't related to me and lives in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Winner announced first week of September.

(Pretend I inserted some lawyer talk here.)

0 comments: